Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rural Indian children's photoblog

I just found this on the BBC news website I think it is the most positive initiative I've seen in the blgopshere in a long time.

You can copy/paste this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6332511.stm

into the BBC webpage, but I have copied the article below.
Will be great to visit their site.

I have already found that their project is on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalledaphotoproject
******************
Rural Indian children's photoblog

Children at a rural school in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh are running a photoblog about daily life in their village, Kalleda. The school gives children from poor families a free education.
The photo project of the RDF (Rural Development Foundation) school has helped school children learn English, connect them with the world and provided the world with a window into rural India.

Read the stories of three of the young photobloggers and click on the links to view their photos.


RANI



Click to see Rani's photos
My name is Rani. I am 15 years old.

I live in a small village called Ravuru, a few kilometres away from school. I walk to the RDF school every day.

Ours is a very poor family. My father does not own any land and only makes money doing coolie (casual labour) work in the rice and cotton fields. His pay is usually 50-60 rupees ($1.3) per day.

My mother stopped me and my brother and sister from going to school. Instead, we joined her to work as coolies.

Since I was very much interested in studying, I approached the RDF school and explained my family's situation. They admitted me without charging tuition fees.

Photography has become my first and favourite hobby. I most like taking pictures of ordinary people and how they lead their lives.

It also gives me a chance to use computers and surf the web. That's how I can see pictures from other countries and learn about their culture.

Even if I am not able to get a job in the future, I know that I will be able to stand on my own feet by using my photography skills.



UMARANI



Click to see Umarani's photos


My name is Umarani and I am 15 years old. I was born in the village of Kalleda.

I am the eldest of three siblings - a brother and a sister. My mother is an agricultural labourer.

My father is a toddy tapper (palm wine collector). We are from the Goud caste, which is the caste of the toddy tappers.

I have been studying at the RDF school since kindergarten. My ambition is to become an engineer. In order to do that, I study very hard.

One of the subjects I like to photograph for the photoblog are the Goud caste - the people who make a living from tapping toddy from the palm trees.

The two men I was taking pictures of today were discussing the sad case of Saroja. She was forced by her parents to marry a man of their choice.

But because she was in love with someone else, she decided to take her life.

This is a cause of sadness for me, which will be felt in the village for a long time.



ABHILASH



Click to see Abhilash's photos
My name is Abhilash. I am 15 years old, and I study in the 10th class.

My father is a farmer but my ambition is to be an engineer. My family is poor but I have high hopes.

This is my last year at the RDF school and the work is more, as we prepare for major exams. After that I hope to attend a junior college, but I don't know yet if I would be able to attend a good one.

My heart swung with joy when I heard that the RDF is establishing a junior college because the RDF has donated free education to many poor students like me.

Education is a tool for human development. A man without education is like a strange animal.

I like taking photos of the progress of construction work for the new college. I also like to take photos of old people, people doing their work and landscapes with lots of sunlight.

Through the photoblog I have learnt a lot about photography and the internet. This has helped me improve my English.

7 comments:

photowannabe said...

Very touching. I will have to take more time tomorrow to read all about this.
Thanks for your comments on my blog about the Queen Mary.

RUTH said...

What an inspiring project you've told us about here. Won't hang about...off to look at it all. Thanks Icarus for highlighting it..
Rx

Tea said...

How very wonderful this is! I also love your bird pictures. My favorite is the last with the little girl.

tea
xo

Audrey said...

This is one Im definitely going to visit when I can give it my full attention and focus..Thank you for posting this...so refreshing and postive what Ive read so far.

Cergie said...

Bonjour, Icarus

Je ne lis pas assez bien l'anglais pour tout lire à fond, je comprends que ce sont des blogs d'enfants
C'est chouette en effet que ces enfants aient pu progresser grace à ces blogs dans tous les domaines et surtout qu'ils aient ainsi pu avoir une ouverture sur le monde
Pas mal, la musique qui se déclenche sans qu'on aie besoin de cliquer Elle est très apaisante

RUTH said...

Hi S, Using this as a quick way to say I see NO frogs on Analias blog!!! i can't think what the problem is....gremlins at work!!!
Rxx

tsduff said...

Glad to see you.