Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Campo de SANTA CLARA

Before explaining this post, I am taking this opportunity to announce the arrival of my new, alternative blog. The idea of "The Flames of Eden" (see link on the right, under my profile)is really just to allow me some more flexibility, to give more emphasis to the written word than to the photographic.
What do you think of it?

This & my next 2 posts will be about the Campo de Santa Clara - partly to make the residents of Santa clara, California feel more at home (as if!), partly to show that there is more to it than just the Flea Market on Saturdays & Wednesdays.
These are not great pictures, particularly the older ones, which are digitalised film. These posts are as a complement to Carlos' current post on http:lisbonweeklyphoto.blogspot.com
The first photo shows the most common way in & out to Campo de Santa Clara, alongside the São Vicente de Fora church & convent, on the edge of Alfama.
 

This is the Panteão, inside which are buried the kings & queens of Portugal (monarchy ended in 1910). Looking at the picture above, it stands behind me to my left. This is a Sunday evening view, no people. On market days, the pavement in front and the Panteão looks like Photo 3 below.
 

Market day. It transforms into a mess of people and all kinds of objects & items. The Portuguese name for the flea market is 'Feira da Ladra', which translates into English as Market of Thievery...enough said, as to its origins at least.
 

Lastly, a (poor) shot of the open-air market in the square. Nothing much, compared to its many London equivalents, among others. But Certainly something to see.
The 2 future posts will bring some very different views.
 
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

RUTH said...

Even your "poor" photos are good to my eye. I love this architecture..I want to touch the walls. And the market?....I'm a woman of course I love the market..fleas or no fleas! As for the thieves...the cannot be worse than the government!...lol
Rx

Ame said...

OMG STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

What AMAZINGLY beautiful SHOTS!

Sure wish MY Santa Clara looked like THIS!!! NO FAIR!

You and Carlos have the bi-opoply (as opposed to a monopoly, LOL!) on "Santa Clara" beauties! ;)

I'm coming over right NOW! Oh, wait! Have to pick up Paul first!

;)
XO

tsduff said...

The bottom pic reminds me of the poor vendors on the street in Tirane, Albania. Love the structure in the first photo. Perhaps I will see it one day.

photowannabe said...

Flea markets can be markets of thieves, that's for sure. These are pretty great pictures if you ask me.

Nikon said...

Nice work Stewart, very beautiful shots.
It would be so much fun if Ame & I could get over there :)

Mandi said...

Love the photos. It's hard to choose which I like best the archway or the market. Archway-market. They're both great!

Audrey said...

So peaceful and so alive, wonderful pictures Stewart, can almost hear the buzz of that market.

Jenny said...

Thank you for the tour and the history lesson - and don't badmouth your pictures!

Anonymous said...

A very fine place!

Carlos said...

Stewart,
Great photos. Santa Clara is a place where we can always rediscover something. About 15 years ago I had lunch in Mercado Santa Clara Restaurant (a customer paid) far to imagine I'd be hanging around taking photos.

Mauigirl said...

Wonderful pictures as always - they really capture the atmosphere.